Saturday, January 30, 2010

5. Late Bloomer

My mom likes to refer to the fact that my awkward period of life lasted a lot longer than well... everyone we know. In all honesty, I'm not so sure it ever ended! At 25 I still have days where my arms and legs are too long for my body, my hair is scraggly and my clothes just don't quite match.

To say I was a late bloomer is an understatement.

One of the things I love so much about my parents is that they never pushed me into anything. Ever. With their encouragement I was able to find the things in life that interested me but move past those that didn't hold my attention. You might be thinking that my parents never pushed me at all. That is absolutely not the truth. With their guidance and knowledge of my personality they were able to help me figure out what my interests were and then helped to provide the resources I needed to be a success.

When my mom recommended Late Bloomer by Fern Michaels to me I thought that is what this book was about. It is soooo not! But that's okay because it is probably the best mystery I have ever read!

I love a good suspense (I never missed the back to back episodes of CSI on Spike in college... before I realized that basic cable was more financial responsible...) and this one held my attention like none other- obviously- I read it in three nights and a morning (THANK YOU SNOW DAY!)

I think the reason this story held my attention was the lightness of it. It wasn't a dark twisty novel. It was light and airy and funny and definitely memorable. After a few weeks of heavy reads this was a breath of fresh air.

This novel follows Cady, a young woman who was accused of murder in the 80's- when she was just 10 years old. The problem lies in the fact she remembers nothing about that day. With her grandmother dying she returns back to the town that judged her, accused her and lied about and to her. All this is complicated as she tries to regain the friendships of the people who, unbeknownst to her, are her biggest betrayers.

The characterization in this book was amazing! For so many amazing characters- no one was snubbed. I felt like I understood them and their quirks and I really was able to connect to everyone in the story. My favorite character, besides Cady, is her grandmother Lola. Think Joan Rivers, Elisabeth Taylor, Blanche from Golden Girls... with a mix of Shirley MacLaine. She's a spitfire if there ever was one! Lola aids her granddaughter in her search for self in the most outlandish ways. She truly would do anything to ensure that the truth eventually comes to light.

Besides the scared and confused Cady and outrageous Lola, this novel is rounded out by a cast so rich it read like a big screen hit. There was the money hungry town lawyer, a sick and twisted housewife, a street preacher who punishes more than preaches and the hot police chief who may be the key to everything... just to name a few.

I, for real, would love to see this story played out in the theater. I can see it being a huge hit!

It is rare that I find a book that I can't wait to read again, but Late Bloomer definitely is one of those rare discoveries. It will be a favorite I will come back to time and time again.

Have you read it? What do you think?

5/52 Books
1574 Pages Read.

2 comments:

  1. I was an "Early Bloomer" and never quite fit in with the kids around me. I was mature and able to handle myself well but was easily irritated by the irresponsible teenagers around me. Either way blooming is hard, lol.

    Love your blog Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think I was a late bloomer in that I was never on the same page with anyone. I was tall and lanky and I said the wrong things at the wrong times and my hair was never quite brushed- I STILL have issues with flyaways! I didn't date in high school and barely dated in college. One of my current friends told me all he remembers about me in college are my big baggy sweatshirts. Talk about HOT! :) But I understand being mature too- I was always the cautious one. I never wanted my friends to get in trouble and I'm pretty sure I kept them from having a lot of fun! :) Oops!

    ReplyDelete