Friday, January 15, 2010

2. The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter

It is only week two and I've already missed my deadline! It had been my hope to update this blog every Thursday- after Grey's Anatomy of course- but that just didn't happen this week. I let myself down, ignored my personal deadlines and pushed this blog off until Friday. I wasn't all that busy, in fact I had two days off work in which I didn't really do all that much... but my reading selection bogged me down more than I imagined it would.

In selecting my books for this challenge I really wanted to experience a wide range of literature. I wanted to venture from my usual favorites and really give many different genres a try. My first choice was a book I chose solely on the fact that the author writes in a way that is fun to read... my second choice I really considered before picking it.

Recently my mother (the retired librarian) went on a book buying binge. This is not a complaint. My mother's literary shopping sprees may be one of my favorite things about her. These spur of the moment trips are certainly something that only she and I share, as my sisters do not like to read. We've spent countless hours at book stores, used book sales and thrift shops filling our bags and baskets with things that just... look interesting. (I'm going to admit it: We judge books by their covers!) A few weeks ago she called and told me about several purchases she'd made- including a classic that she just knew I'd enjoy. The fact my mother was such a strong proponent of this book made it a fairly easy choice. I couldn't get what she'd said about it off my mind. The book: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.

My first thought when I started this novel was that it could be compared to What The Deaf Man Heard (a favorite Hallmark movie of mine). The first chapter centered around the odd relationship of two deaf-mutes in the south. Odd and/or different cultures are something that can be interesting so I kept reading. Then I realized that this book was NOTHING like What The Deaf Man Heard and things got weird. This turned out to be a story about the 5 most pathetically lonely people I've ever met... er, read about. I've had rough times in my life. I've had moments when I was lonely and felt like I didn't know which direction was up... but these people just wallowed in it like a bunch of dirty pigs. Harsh, maybe, but true. If you know me at all you know I have little sympathy for those who have an obvious path out of their negative circumstances yet refuse, time and time again, to take said path. Every character in this book was so full of loathing for any ideas but their own that they wound up lonely and miserable. (I won't say "in the end" on the off chance you want to still read it when I' m done.)

It made me so stinkin' sad to read this book and I honestly struggled to get through the pages.... which is odd for me. I can normally digest an entire book in an afternoon.

It is my belief that art cannot be judged. It is one of the reasons I left the art department in college and changed my major. Who am I to say someone else's lifelong masterpiece is crap? Who am I to let you tell my my canvas doesn't show heart or emotion? For this reason alone I find if painfully difficult to say that Carson McCullers book is bad. Its not bad. Its an honest take on what many people live and die with- the belief that they, alone, are right and they'd rather go on living their lives than admit that just simply reaching out to someone would completely change their circumstances. I just can't imagine curling up with this book on a chilly afternoon with my favorite blanket and a Dr. Pepper. This was NOT a feel good read.

I will say, at certian points, feel a connection to each of the characters and had great hopes that they'd better themselves... but each character let me down. No one grew. No one changed. They went on this long, twisted journey in and out of each others lives and no one came out of it a stronger or more developed person. I find that so disappointing. But then again, I'm disappointed with real life people who seem to be fighting the same personal battles on repeat, never to gain anything from the last time they went through it.

For those of you who are literary nerds like myself- I might compare this book to We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates. That book took me an entire summer to read! (Both The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter and We Were The Mulvaneys were picks on Oprah's Book Club list.... makes me question her taste in literature!)

Oddly enough, it was halfway through this book when I was complaining on the book to my mother, "I hate this! I have no idea where it's going. I don't know what the point is!" when she said to me "I don't remember it either... I just read it in college." Turns out I took the advice of my awesome mother who didn't even remember the storyline in the first place. Guess next time I should probe for a little more information before I take her suggestion... although this is the first book in 25 years she's been wrong about. (I LOVE YOU ANYWAY MOM!)

The next book on my reading list will come from my friend Katy. Yesterday we spent the day at her house addressing Save The Date cards for her wedding. We talked about my challenge and she sent home several of her favorite reads for me to experience. This coming week I'll tackle: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. Care to read along?!?!

2/52 Books
717 Pages Read

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your review, as usual, even though you didn't enjoy the book! Maybe my next recommendation will be better!

    Maybe I didn't read it. Maybe I saw the movie. Either way, I don't remember!

    Wait, I actually have the movie taped from tv. I will let you watch it. You can curl up on the sofa with a Dr. Pepper and see if the movie is better than the book. It won't take but a couple of hours and you will be done!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete