Thursday, January 7, 2010

1. Leaving Carolina

Several years ago I picked up a book at a Lifeway Christian Bookstore called Perfecting Kate, by Tamara Leigh, This novel was quickly added to my list of favorites. I related (on ridiculous levels) to Kate in her plight to understand why her circumstances were exactly what they were supposed to be. This is actually a novel I've considered rereading... but that breaks rule #1 of this New Year's Challenge- All books must be books I haven't read before.

This Christmas I did research and found that Tamara Leigh has several more novels available and I added them to my wish list. My mother came through with Leaving Carolina wrapped under our tree. This story was confusing, and honestly a bit unsettling, to me at first. I wasn't sure I wanted to read about a girl with an unhappy childhood and a bone to pick with God, fighting over her uncle's will. The whole story line seemed very cliche and I didn't really want to listen to legal gargon that, frankly, in the first chapter gave me a headache. I even laid the book aside for a while before going back to the story. (I have a strict rule that I ALWAYS finish a book that I start. No. Matter. What.) I'm glad I gave Leaving Carolina a second chance.

Piper, the main character, was almost pathetic in her attempts to block out the her painful past. I wanted to pull her aside and tell her she looked like a fool- that she really was the paranoid one but I felt a sad bond with her. I've definitely been the one who tried to go back- to family, to old friends- and felt like I was the better one... only to realize that the world didn't stop and their lives are better as well, and what's worse (or better) is that perhaps the other people have actually grown more than I have. No one wants to confront pride in their lives, but we've all done it and Piper's story, albeit hard to stomach at times, struck a cord with me.

By the end of the book I was so proud of Piper, and the other characters, for their transformation as a family. I was even excited to see that one of the villians that I grew to love will have her own novel out later this year. I won't go into the details of the ending, as that's just silly to do if you're going to read this novel, but I will say it left me feeling kinda warm and fuzzy inside! Okay, so it was very much a cliche story but who doesn't like a guilty pleasure read- especially when there are so many fun and unexpected twists and turns!

For those who are familiar with Christian fiction, I will say that this book offered a little perk I wasn't expecting- a leading man, unlike one I'd experienced before. He was sarcastic, he was patriotic, he was honest, he was wounded and he was protective. He seemed almost human. I think its Leigh's ability to make her characters seem real that made me give her work a second look. I get frustrated with authors who make their leading men pathetically... female. We've all heard that women want men who put down the seat, who come home and cook dinner, who straighten the living room and take out the trash without being told, who stand up for us no matter who is at fault... but those are qualities that most men just don't have. Frankly- I appreciate a guy who will tell me that I'm looking like an idiot and maybe I really am at fault (In a sweet and caring way, and with chocolate, of course.) I think a little honest characterization from an author is refreshing.

Have you read this book? Plan to? Let me know what you think! Also, I'm up for book recommendations!!!

On a side note, as I've been writing this, I've been attempting to enjoy a homemade float (soda + ice cream) and it's been a sad disappointment. My float making skills are apparently lacking.

1/52 Books.
358 Pages Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment