Tuesday, April 27, 2010

12. Bed Rest

I'm 25. My biological clock is ticking (just ask my mom...) Just kidding- I think we both know its going to be a VERY long time before my uterus gets a tenant. And after this book - add 5 years to that.

Bed Rest was the story of... get this... a pregnant lady on (wait for it..) bed rest! I didn't really have many expectations when I started reading. I picked this book up for two reasons: It was short (and lets face it, I'm behind in my reading) and there was a bowl of ice cream on the cover (even if it was resting on a pregnant belly- it's still ice cream). It was a fairly intense read at the beginning: with a medical emergency and the flustered scramble to get life settled within in the confines of a tiny Manhattan apartment. Then, the story developed and the ugly truth about what pregnancy is like came to light. I was a little bit surprised. You have to go through THAT when you're pregnant?

No thanks. This is precisely the reason I will be in a committed marriage when I start having little ones- I can blame my husband for all the gross, horrible stuff and he can't leave me. (Whoever you are- I love you and I'm just kidding and I won't be that mean when I'm preggo.
.. I don't think...)

All single-girl-gagging aside, this was a very fun novel. There, of course, was the British lead character (which didn't speak in the lingo I enjoy but was entertaining nonetheless), the shocking love triangle, and a happy ending. I also enjoyed this story because I think Q (the lead character) acted like I would given the circumstances- even though she was confined to her sofa- she was able to stay entertained and gave no excuses when her hormones got the best of her. Sarah Bilston did well with this cute little novel. If you're looking for a quick, easy read (for some reason- airplanes come to mind) get this one. Its quirky and a little sickly sweet (minus the gross stuff, but if you've had a baby you know all about that. I prefer to remain naive. Gag.)

On a side note, I think I'll make my font blue.. cause if I have a baby in the next decade.. I hope its a boy. Girls are ridiculous.

12/52 Books (Currently 5 behind... Oops!)
3678 Pages Read.

4 comments:

  1. a certain song comes to mind.... about gender and health... but anyway, I may need to borrow that for the trip I'm taking July 5th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, girls ARE rediculous. Not sure why I wanted three!!! jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll put it aside for you Katy! lol
    Pregnant women are smug!

    I don't know why you'd want three kids either MOM. I would have just traded off the other two and kept me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, she wasn't very anonymous, even I knew who it was!!

    ReplyDelete