Sunday, July 18, 2010

18. A Girl and Her Money

We spend money we don't have
to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't even like.
-m.scott page

My name is Lindsey and I am a shopoholic. Granted, I do not drop thousands in one day, and I don't even have a credit card - I still find myself grabbing that cute yellow purse and tossing it up on the counter to be paid for just because I've always wanted one... It's a sad condition really- loving things and buying things and then having a closet full of things that you wear only once or twice and then trade off with your mom cause you decide you like her things better and she yours... and then after a year or two said things end up in a yard sale for a fraction of what you paid for them because you just never used that thing you just had to have... We're women. It's a curse.

Sharon Durling- the author of A Girl and Her Money, says that unwisely wanting things and getting them happened the second Eve ate the fruit and realized she needed new clothes... and we've been working to shop ever since. We've buried ourselves so deeply in debt that we can't possibly imagine pulling ourselves out. It's so frustrating.

My main problem isn't exactly shopping its the fact that I don't spend the extra money I have wisely. It's hard to pay all my bills and then not treat myself with what is left in the bank. I can justify anything (just ask my parents!) and spending that little extra money doesn't seem so bad when I REALLY need a new pair of jeans or must have new mascara.

This was the perfect book for me to read right now because I've been taking some time to sort out my finances. I recently came to the realization that I'm not promised a spouse. I'm not always promised a job. I'm not guarenteed any extra income and I'm certainly not sure I'll be given retirement compensation (RETIREMENT!!??!?! I'M ONLY 25!!!!) But it's up to me to sort all this out and prepare for the future that I can't see.

Last summer I broke my foot and had no insurance. I'm still paying those bills and will be for quite some time.. then I got h1n1 and had to pay out of pocket plus lose 8 days wa
ges.. It cost me nearly $500 to lay on the couch for a week. Not knowing the future can take a serious bite of out what little money I have so I think it's a wise choice to go ahead and start scraping together those few extra cents I have every month.

However, the author clearly defines that financial freedom is freedom from money, not freedom to spend money like a mad man just cause you have it. I want to be in a place where I can enjoy lifes little perks because I know I have it saved away and can allow myself to have a few fun things here and there- not spend with wreckless abandon because I've got plenty and I won't miss a few dollars- and can always make more later.

The idea of a retirement plan sounds scary now, but what about the other stuff I clearly need to be focusing on- I don't want to rent forever. I want a house that is all mine that I can nail countless holes in the wall or paint fun colors. I want a deck I can grill on without my neighbors standing three feet away. I want to not be worried about the car blocking mine when I leave my drive in the mornings. I very much want a house! But for now- I've got to figure out a way to lower my rent. My lease is not up until February but I have every intention of finding some place that is more economically feasible (hopefully with no other homes attatched to it.) and start saving the hundred or even 50 bucks I get to keep every month.

I've also taken up couponing lately. It's not the easiest thing to do and sometimes I have to pay full price for an item- but I've gotten much better about which brands I buy and watching for sales. Its saved me quite a bit lately and hopefully I'll only get better at it- I want to be a pro by the time I have more than one mouth to feed! My friend Laura is a genius at couponing and knows how to stock pile and have reserves of items... I hope to get to that point sooner rather than later.

I'm by no means Dave Ramsey, I think Ms. Durling made quite an impact on me. H
er approach to this subject matter was head on: Men are from Home Depot and Women are from Macy's! We have these desires and a need to keep up with the Joneses and we spend before we think. It's a universal problem and we and our bank accounts and our future selves are suffering for it.

If you need a boost to start looking at your money differently- I'd definitely recommend this book. It's light and airy with alot of bibilical references to show that this isn't a new issue. People have been gaining and losing fortunes for thousands of y
ears and even though we can't take our wealth with us to heaven- God gives it to us to manage wisely. Check this one out! It gets 5 stars from me.


18/52 Books (Currently 10 behind... Oops!)
5519 Pages Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment