Saturday, July 31, 2010

19. My Secret Boyfriend

Who doesn't love a little trip down memory lane? Today during a trip to a local book store (read my last post) I came across a book by Lurlene McDaniel. No joke, I seriously think I read every one of her books that I could get my hands on in middle school. If you don't remember who she is- this might help; EVERY book I ever read by her centered around a teenager with a medical issue. Some of the main characters had debilitating illnesses while other stories focused on families that were dealing with a terminal illness or the loss of a loved one. They sound incredibly depressing but I assure you they were not! Unlike other books that were popular during that time: Baby sitters club, Saddle Club etc... they focused on the fact that life isn't always perfect and doesn't always turn out like you want. I think her books taught me some valuable lessons during my early teen years.

I came across this book My Secret Boyfriend while my friend
Mark and I were discussing the fact that the Twilight series and other popular books are way too mature for the age groups reading them. It really bothers me that the themes of these and other novels are so sexual in content and the authors, readers and reviewers are so nonchalant about it. Little kids are reading these things and getting who knows what ideas in their heads! During this conversation my eyes landed on this McDaniel novel and I scooped it off the shelf. "These books are good." I told him "Nothing wrong here!" I wanted to enjoy a little book while I was sipping my coffee, and since this one was over 100 pages I considered it fair game to add to my blog, so I jumped in.

Boy, have my tastes in literature changed in the last decade! First of all, this book was about a girl in the 8th grade... and while it was spot on for 8th grade drama it was still shocking to realize how silly we all were back then! Basically the gist of the story is this: A girl comes back to school after summer vacation to find everyone has boyfriends except for her, so she lies and says she has one too. She uses a picture of a boy her mom knows as proof of his existence... but ironically his parents divorce and he and his mother move in with the girl's family while they get back on their feet. Not only does she have to keep the lie of their relationship from him, but she must also deal with the fact she really doesn't like him all that much. Cute premi
se right?

It was an interesting story with all the right characters: the supportive best friend, the annoying little brother and the gossiping boyfriend stealer.... but this book had something that shocked the socks off me. It was something that I was certainly wasn't expecting.... Brace yourselves Lurlene McDaniel lovers, mothers of 'tweens and people who want to protect your children from the likes of Twilight and all things mature: This book was BRIMMING with sexual innuendos! On several occasions I stopped and made Mark read what I'd just read as proof that I wasn't going crazy. Were these innuendos in her writing all along? Was I just too naive to notice? What happened to the feel good stories that filled my life in middle school and made me feel like the world was going to be alright??!?! What is the world coming to?!?!?!

Lurlene McDaniel, I am shocked at your behavior! Here I was defending you and
saying how much better your books were for young people today and here you go and disappoint me! I'm totally bummed! This was like the day I found out Ann M. Martin was just a name given to all the people who actually wrote for Baby Sitter's Club. I feel robbed of my childhood.

You're going to go reread all her books now aren't you?

19/52 Books (Currently 11 behind... Oops!)
5644 Pages Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment