Saturday, October 2, 2010

22. The Secret Of The Lonely Grave

I get it, it's been quite some time since I posted, but I promise- I've been reading! (When I can anyway!) A few weeks back I grabbed a random book off my shelf and to my surprise it was set in Cadiz, Kentucky- a town I drive through when I travel the 90 miles between my current city of residence and my hometown.

I'll admit Cadiz is NOT my favorite place. Reason 1.) He's an ex and he's from there. What better reason do I need? But alas, there is another. Reason 2.) The first and only time (Knock on Wood) I ever got pulled over was right on 68-80. Thanks Mr. Policeman for the warning. I promise, I'll drive 54 through town from now on. Oh, and then there is the pesky problem of rarely having any cell phone service, but that's hardly a reason not to like a city. Is it?

Despite my dislike for the town - I still think there are quaint and adorable aspects to the area- especially as you near Lake Barkley- and I found it pretty cool that an author would pick this touristy little hot spot as the setting for his Civil War-based mystery. The Secret of the Lonely Grave wasn't all that long so it didn't take much time to skip through this cute little novel. In fact, it was incredibly suspenseful, and VERY believable and that made it a fantastic read.

Unlike the Lurlene McDaniel book I reviewed a while back that was very tacky and filled with sexual innuendos, this book would be great for the middle school crowd. I found it so educational that, at 25, I learned things about the Civil War that I didn't know or understand! The author went through great lengths to not only explain the underground railroad but also give a modern voice to those who faced it's horrors.

Having discussed history in depths today with a fellow history buff, I find it not only interesting but essential to keep an eye on the past. How else will we know where we are going if we don't know where we have been?

P.S. The Secrets of the Lonely Grave was written by Albert A. Bell Jr. and looks to be published by a private company, Claystone Books, so you might have to search to find it- but I highly recommend that you do! (It is listed on Amazon!)


22/52 Books (Currently 17 behind... Oops!)
6450 Pages Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment