Saturday, January 1, 2011

1. I Have A Pink Tool Box.

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of putting shelves in my guest room. Why? Because, put simply, I have two much crap.


Being a young professional sans family I choose to rent an apartment/duplex rather than buy a home. I'm not quite financially ready to own a home so it just makes sense that I pay rent and let someone else mow the yard and fix the dishwasher (which lately has been a thorn in my side but thats a whole other story!)

In being a young professional with a decent job and hopes of owning my own dream home in the near future... and an addiction to thrift stores... not to mention a love of all things creative... I kinda have alot of stuff. I have end tables with no sofa to hug, enough art supplies for a small elementary school and enough purses for a couple of sororities (I'm a girl. I can't help it.)

So my solution was to fill the empty wall in my guest room with shelves. There was nothing there and it seemed like a brilliant idea...

Yesterday I had the day off work so I went to Big Lots (particle board bookcase for $29) and Lowes (plastic shop shelves for $24), cause, Honey, my momma taught me how to comparison shop!

Unfortunately my mother was unavailable to take my call so I discussed my options with my father and after much discussion (his argument was that particle board shelves would last longer...) he talked me into the Big Lots purchase and before I knew it a nice salesmen was loading two huge boxes into the back of my SUV.


This being a "I am woman hear me roar" project I hauled both boxes into my house on my own. Each of them weighed in around 50 pounds. I didn't hurt myself so we'll consider this a small victory. Last night being New Years I left them at the door and figured I'd get around to them sometime today.

This morning while my neighbors slept off their hangovers and my best friend hung out on my couch I got out my pink tool kit and got to work. After only a few minor mishaps I got the first shelf together! It being taller than me (at 6'1'' that's kinda hard) and quite heavy it was a feat to get it out of the living room and into the corner of the guest room but I did it. BY MYSELF!

Then I started on the second shelf... it was great until I started to screw in the last piece and the silly board splintered in my hands. It was quiet frustrating and I wanted to throw it across the room. I wanted so bad to get my house organized today!!!


Luckily the helpful salesman let me know about this companies replacement parts program so I was able to get on ordered pronto and hopefully I'll be able to finish this project in 2-4 business days!


Unfortunately my living room doesnt have much floor space so I had to take the bottom part of the bookcase apart so I'd have room to live until I can get it repaired. Hopefully it wont take long and I can put my furniture all back where it goes!

I don't mind hands-on projects much. I think they are kinda fun- especially when they are about to be crazy useful for me! This one really wasn't so bad and it let me know I can definately do more huge projects like this in the future! Last year I repainted several large piece of furniture but this is the first thing I think I've atually assymbled for myself... I think it's going to turn out quite well! I'll definately post some pictures when it's finished- but for now... this is what you get!

Turns out you've gotta be somewhat flexible to work on these crazy things!

No comments:

Post a Comment